Cold coffee has been a rare luxury of late with boot camps, Roman holidays but most of all the launch of new thinking around the impact of mobile on the world. So what you yawn? Mobile is clearly something for kids, fads and Koreans.
Well if you believe Will Harris, the mobile dog is about to have its day.
In fact it’s going to be a super day as he believes that there is weird tribal super user behaviour around mobile that has passed us all by and holds the key to building mobile conversations. To check out Will’s view in full, click here to see his White Paper on the rise of the mobile super user
What’s more, this new day is all about the collision between mobile and Internet behaviours that will see more genuine conversations and ‘opt-in cultures’ dominating the sad old push/pull micro community world of the web. The chart below is our view of what might be coming next. The super losers in society 2.0 could well be those who can’t get to grips with the coming mobile culture. Let me know if you’re a user or agree with the super user future?
In this first post on the subject of the mobile super user I would like to share some of Will’s thoughts regarding who is a mobile super user:
- Super Users have re-purposed the phone for their own ends. For them it is not primarily a mechanic for speech any more.
- Super Users are always connected, and never isolated. They are less planned, and live their lives in a more spontaneous way. They are better informed, and up to date with the world around them. Furthermore, because they are better at multi-tasking, they live very much in real-time. Finally they are less aware of distance, and are regularly in touch with more friends than most.
- Super Users create Super Societies – societies awash with Super Users are less formal and more direct. They are less tolerant of hierarchies and used to unfettered, uncensored communications. They are open to new ideas and express those ideas with a new degree of intimacy.
- The Establishment will never use SMS – Will points out the recent uprising in Burma was predominantly communicated via videos and photos from mobile phones.
- Super Users are the most valuable consumer group – they are more extrovert, more fashionable, more chatty and far more in touch with the world around them – they are the influencers.
- Top communications tools are IM, Facebook and SMS. They tend to be big users of IM and social networking
I will post again on this subject looking into the two facets of: “Mobile Internet or Internet Mobile” and “Super User in the Digital Age”.